Thursday, November 19, 2009

Writing style 1

Power Academy of Dance is proud to announce the technical advances of their Grade 4 Imperial Ballet Students. Substantial breakthroughs have been made since the beginning of October with a number of students identifying what is correct posture and putting this knowledge into physical practice, creating the foundation for superb results in the summer exam session.

The students aged 11-14 began their learning journey on Wednesday 14th of October when the focus on posture was introduced into their lessons. A ‘unique’ teaching tool was used in order for the students to understand what correct posture was in a classical ballet stance and what this felt like within their own bodies. The unique learning tool added some fun and excitement to the class while the students were still learning the fundamental elements of posture. Since the initial lesson constant reminders have been given to the students, making sure that they remember the 3 P’s in classical ballet; Posture, Posture, Posture! Before every exercise a the students are given a verbal nudge in order to stimulate their memories so they can actively concentrate on their posture as the students still have to practice this concept a few hundred more times before straight backs override ‘Banana’ backs in their muscle memory. At this level posture becomes more than just standing up nice and tall like a princess and not getting your bottom burnt in the toaster when performing a knee bend (imagery is a well recognised teaching tool that enables young children to associate a concept with something that they know), it becomes the foundation of all technique for without it many movements cannot be accomplished. Alina Cojocaru, principal dancer of The Royal Ballet could certainly not dance the role of Princess Aurora in ‘The Sleeping Beauty’ without firm posture as the choreography would simply be impossible without this concrete foundation.

It was extremely visible in the last class on the 11th of November that the students have made astounding improvements with their posture; keeping their backs long, shoulders down, hips more level and each student has the ability to hold their core muscles for longer than ever before. By having a hands on approach to teaching and by creating a stimulating and enjoyable learning environment while ensuring repetition of technique the students have flourished and each parent should be very proud of their child’s accomplishment. The progression made has enabled the students to become more confident and perform movements with more technical accuracy while also adding a little sparkle to their work. A continuation of this learning and improvement will certainly lead to the children’s best exam results yet and an even more dazzling performance at next year’s dance festival in Bedford ‘Dance 4 all’.

3 comments:

  1. Ok so I have taken my time to comment on your writing style because I found your topic interesting and it is different from what everyone else has written so far, and I am not going to use this against you, but personally I don’t think what you have written is marketing, I also found myself losing track of the lines.

    I don’t think that you have a strong inviting statement to make me want to read on. I think maybe if you had used a question at the start of the writing it would engage a reader. You have too much information in that first paragraph to make a reader not want to read the rest and just by looking at it.
    If I was writing about this topic I would probably do this

    Marketing style- Market how I can improve peoples posture. Using a question such as

    “Posture, Posture, Posture is that all you hear your ballet teacher saying? Join my classes where you shall learn, feel and notice improvement to your posture in just a few weeks”

    This I think is engaging and those people who are at your grade 4 level or above that either dance for fun, want to dance professionally, thinking about teaching or already teach and want to learn more will be interested. Already I feel thid has broadened your audience.

    -Write about myself and my training
    -Briefly explain what posture is?
    -Write about how I would teach and improve posture.
    -Prove how my teaching of posture works.


    This way you are marketing yourself as a teacher, still keeping to the topic you have chose and using some information that you have written but without all the jargon.

    I also think it’s a lot of text to look at and makes me not want to continue reading as its overwhelming. I also think you have far too much unnecessary information. You are informing me too much about tiny details of what happened in the class as opposed to marketing the main topic Posture. I think this is because you haven’t really made it clear what you are specifically marketing in the first paragraph. If you, are going to market posture you need to include who, where, what, when and how in the first paragraphs but briefly as you can elaborate in further paragraphs.

    After you have done this you need to think about including, where your classes are held, and how to contact you. Maybe write a little on the requirements for the class, what level you should be at, what is appropriate to wear and information about the cost. Michelle Wallbanks and Alys Spencer have written about marketing their workshops and classes, maybe take a look and see how they have done theirs.

    Hop this helps Abbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abi, Thanks for taking time to put you comments. Your comments are valid and I you have made me understand that I need to clarify what my piece is about. My piece was not about selling my classes or say come to my dance class. Alan said we could write about a students developement/ something that was acheived in class, we did not have to 'sell'or advertise a performance/class. My aim was to advertise the students development not to advertise my class, having read you comments I will try and make this more clear for my next draft as you are right the first sentence should tell the reader what the whole article is about. Thanks for the time that you took, it's really appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand if Alan said that you don’t have to advertise or sell something and I wasn’t at the course day that he did, however I have researched marketing writing and to maximize its effectiveness I have learnt that “the best writing is always clear and to the point, imparting to the reader exactly what he/she needs to learn. This is especially the case with marketing writing, and in particular, Inbound Marketing writing, because the end result is whether the reader agrees to buy the product or service or just read the statement/article based on what is presented in the writing, make the readers see value in your headline statement.
    The most impactful headline is one that makes the readers give it value and so creates interest in pursuing it further” (Michael Cohn, see Marketing Writing-How to maximize its effectiveness post.) So I understand that it isn’t just about buying/selling a product but it is what I am likely to believe.

    It is just my personal opinion maybe wait to see what other peole think, then you will know if this way is working or not.

    Abbi

    ReplyDelete