Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Marketing- Draft 2

Power Academy of Dance is proud to announce the technical advances of their Grade 4 Imperial Ballet Students. Substantial breakthroughs have been made since the beginning of October with a number of students displaying improved posture during their ballet class, creating the foundation for superb results in the summer exam session. An enormous achievement by all, parents you should be proud!

The students aged 11-14 began their learning journey on Wednesday 14th of October when the focus on posture was introduced into their lessons. A ‘unique’ teaching tool was used in order for the students to understand what correct posture was in a classical ballet stance and what this felt like within their own bodies. The unique learning tool created a few giggles during the class, giving the students a fun learning experience. Since the initial lesson constant reminders have been given to the students, making sure that they remember the 3 P’s in classical ballet; Posture, Posture, Posture! Before every exercise a the students are given a verbal nudge in order to stimulate those synapses used for memory so they could focus their minds and bodies on correct posture, this only has to be practiced a few more hundred times before straight backs override ‘Banana’ backs in their muscle memory. No easy task! At this level posture becomes more than just standing up ‘nice and tall like a princess’ and not getting your bottom burnt in the toaster’ when performing a knee bend, it becomes the foundation of all technique for without it many movements cannot be performed. Alina Cojocaru, principal dancer of The Royal Ballet could certainly not dance the role of Princess Aurora in ‘The Sleeping Beauty’ without firm posture as the choreography would simply be impossible.

It was extremely visible in the last class on the 11th of November that the students have made astounding improvements with their posture; keeping their backs long, shoulders down, hips more level and each student has the ability to hold their core muscles for longer than ever before. By having a hands on approach to teaching and by creating a stimulating and enjoyable learning environment while ensuring repetition of technique the students have flourished and each parent should be very proud of their child’s accomplishment. The progression made has enabled the students to become more confident and perform movements with more technical accuracy while also adding a little sparkle to their work. A continuation of this learning and improvement will certainly lead to the children’s best exam results yet and an even more dazzling performance at next year’s dance festival in Bedford ‘Dance 4 all’.

3 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    I really enjoyed reading your piece on Power Academy of Dance. If my daughter was interested in ballet I would feel very confident for her to attend a lesson. I like the element of fun you show in your technical lessons, this is sure to keep the children interested.

    I am a little bit confused as to what you are marketing? Is it the breakthroughs shown by students?

    Only a suggestion but have you thought about marketing their performance at Bedfords Dance 4 all? You could then tell the reader about the performance, when and where it will be held? What do you think?

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the aim of the piece was to market the breakthrough shown by the students not to advertise the lessons. I know my take on the subject for marketing piece is not your straight forward 'here's my class, these are the times, come on down' but at the time of starting this work I didn't have a performance to market. Something was said about marketing a breakthrough that a student had made in class or target that was acheived and this got me thinking about what my students had acheived. I believe that this task is about the language and way that you write not necessarily what you are actually marketing. You suggestion I think woul make it more obvious what my piece is about my only problem is I don't know the answer to any of those questions as the next dance4all is not until october time next year, the details have not yet been finalised to my knowledge.

    I have had my feedback from Peter and he said that a title may effetively show the focus for my piece so I'm on the task of trying to think of a catchy title. I would appreciate your views when my third draft is up. Is my language concise, accurate? Do I use inticing language? Is my point concise or have I babbled too much? (taking into account the word target for this piece, this piece would have been a lot shorter if it wasn't for a word target).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that the task is about the language and structure rather than what you are actually writing about.
    Was only a suggestion to market the Bedford Dance 4 all, but I really like the way you haven’t stuck to the conventional "here's my class". The way you market the breakthrough shown by the students is very interesting to read.

    Peter's idea of the title showing the focus makes sense. It will set the tone for the piece, so I understand you want to think carefully and come up with a catchy, punchy line that is still be in keeping with your piece. Seen as I wasn't a hundred percent sure if you were marketing the breakthrough in students, I feel your title should make this clear to the reader instantly, but again this is only my opinion
    Only a suggestion but how about
    “STUDENTS BREAKTHROUGH AND ACHIEVE THEIR GOALS"
    “BREAKTHROUGH, STRAIGHT BACKS WIN OVER BANANA BACKS"
    “BREAKTHROUGH BY STUDENTS AT THE POWER ACADEMY OF DANCE"

    Regarding the word target, 500 words is only a guideline so if you feel it should be shorter to grab the reader’s attention then do that. Personally I feel the length of your piece is just right. You tell the reader what they need to know and I didn't find myself switching off at any point.

    I look forward to reading your third draft Melissa and as you asked I will look out for the language being concise and enticing.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete