Monday, May 3, 2010

Rational for Degree Title

I propose the following for my degree title:

BA (Hons) Professional Practice Dance Education

Previous to commencing this degree course I obtained a NQF level 6 Diploma in Professional Dance from Stella Mann College where I studied a variety of dance genres, as well as obtaining a classical ballet teaching qualification (Foundation in Dance Instruction with the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing). The education that I received whilst at Stella Mann in order to achieve the Diploma in professional dance and an FDI qualification has provided me with the knowledge and skill that it required for my professional practice today. The knowledge of technique, performance skills, dance history, teaching methods, syllabus knowledge, choreography, safe dance practice and child development gained is essential and has provided the groundwork for my professional practise as a teacher. My professional practice at present is as a ballet, modern, tap and jazz teacher for students aged 2 ½- 14 at a private sector dance school where I provide my students with an education in the dance genres that they choose to study. I have taught for a number of years whilst a secondary school and dance college student however know having graduated I have been able to make teaching dance my professional practice

As a dance teacher I am constantly looking for ways to improve my teaching practice and the dance education that my students receive and this is what led to topic choice for my research project. My research topic centres around extending the dance education that my students receive by integrating creative dance into their classes, thus improving their experience and knowledge of dance. I aim to improve my knowledge of creative dance and seek the positive benefits that this will have on the students in a technique based classical ballet class. It is widely acknowledged that the dance education provided in the private and public sectors is focuses on different aspects of a dance education and generically the education received does not cross over between the two. In the future I plan use my knowledge to integrate the two by bringing my knowledge of a public sector education into the private sector and vice versa. Following this degree my plan is obtain Qualified Teaching Status (QTS) so that I can teach in secondary schools, bring the knowledge I have gained on technique and performance skills into a public sector education. The process of this degree course has been exceedingly beneficial to my professional practice as a Dance educator and I believe that this should be shown in my degree title

I believe that having the words ‘Dance’ and ‘Education’ are instrumental to my degree title, they reflect my current professional practice as a dance teacher, my previous training and the future progression that a plan to take as a dance teaching professional. My professional practice at present is educating young girls in the world of dance and I plan to continue to educate students in dance in a variety of institutions providing a long and fulfilled career. The degree title; BA (Hons) Professional Practices encompasses my past, my present and my future and therefore is completely appropriate and justifiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment