Sunday, October 4, 2009

About me!


My name is Melissa, last year I graduated from Stella Mann College gaining my Trinity Diploma in Professional Dance and my FDI teaching qualification in Classical Ballet with the ISTD.

Dancing is a passion that I developed as a teenager and it wasn’t until the age of 14 that I started training at Chaplins Stage School, while also attending Campion School Dance Club, Bugbrooke Regional Dance Group and Northants County Dance Group. I also studied Drama at school, so as you can tell I got into the performing arts in a big way. This passion is what led me to Stella Mann College where I was able to undertake professional dance training and gain dance teaching qualifications. Whilst there I took classes in Jazz, Street Jazz, Ballet, Contemporary, Musical Theatre, Tap, Partnerwork, Tap, Acting, Singing and from second year onwards ballet teaching while also taking part in a number of performances. My journey at Stella Mann was a fairly bumpy one as I managed to get a number of injuries while I was there two of which required operations and a lot of physiotherapy. Whilst there I learnt that my strengths were Jazz (Commercial and Technical), Ballet and Acting which now I am teaching as well as Modern and Tap, passing on the knowledge that I gained whilst at Stella Mann though I do believe that I am learning as much from my students as they are learning from me. I wish that I could say I was teaching full time but as I’m sure that everybody reading this blog knows we all have to pay the bills.

My aim when I went to Stella Mann was to become a Commercial Dancer (my ultimate dream was to dance on stage with the Pussycat Dolls but now having seen them live I now know that they don’t have any female dancers. Gutted!) as Street Jazz had always been my strength and to also gain my teaching qualifications so I could teach ballet, Modern and Jazz. My plans have changed slightly now having had the injuries and life circumstances changing my professional ambition is purely teaching. I would love teach children and professionals in training alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment