Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My top 5 resources revised

My Top 5 Resources
· The Stage Online- http://www.thestage.co.uk/ This website has information on Job listings (both performance vacancies, teaching vacancies, backstage vacancies as well as a number of other roles within the Performing Arts industry), Articles of current topics within the industry, reviews, performance listings, adverts for places that provide training for a professional career in performing arts as well as a forum for people to discuss problems/ issues that they may be encountering within the industry and is easy to navigate however certain information is only privy to subscribers of the magazine and therefore making it difficult to get some information if you are not a subscriber. The website publishes the information published in the newspaper once a week however it also has additional information as well as extra information for magazine subscribers. This website/magazine is an excellent place to find job vacancies as looking for new employment within teaching work is an important part of my daily activity. It also allows me to keep up to date on the issues that the industry faces so that I can keep informed about what is occurring in my profession and as the information is evidentially reported, I find this a reliable resource. ‘Stage talk’ allows me to talk to others in the profession who may be able to give me advice on problems that I encounter and for me to give them advice. This is essentially a forum for sharing information but as a teacher I find it useful for getting ideas while some may not work for me others might and it is only through trial and error that I am able to decipher my opinion on the validity of the information.
http://www.thestage.co.uk/stagetalk/

· Dancing Times Magazine- http://www.dancing-times.co.uk/ - This magazine and website has articles about current topics in the dance industry- teaching, study aids, articles about dance anatomy posture and teaching related articles, reviews of dance performances, interviews with industry professionals. The reviews are the subject of a journalist’s opinion however all other articles are based on fact and often articles are based on medical/ expert research and therefore I consider these articles valid and a valuable resource. Both the magazine and the website hold a number of similar articles however there are also certain things that are only on one or the other e.g. only the magazine has the dance study aids and the website allow you to look at popular articles from previous issues. I find this magazine to be an in- exhaustive bank of knowledge the information contained on the website and in the magazine allows me to (with every new issue) keep up to date with what is happening in the world of dance and provides me with essential teaching material. Expanding my knowledge and making sure I am aware of any new information on all aspects of dance is an essential part of my day to day activities as a teacher.
http://www.dancing-times.co.uk/2008Sept/Into%20Dance%20spread/Manon.html
http://www.dancing-times.co.uk/News/News.html

· The I.S.T.D. website- www.istd.org This website has a section where I can order any book, CD, DVD, music script that I need in order to teach ISTD syllabus work, teacher training manuals as well as a few other items that may be of help to an ISTD teacher. It also has information on up-coming seminars and event to help improve teaching, news on up-coming events, job vacancies, a brief history of the ISTD, details of the different Syllabi, Customer Services as well as a resource area that has a number of articles related to anatomy and dancing (e.g. Balance and Posture, A Knee for Dance or Disaster) as well as a list of useful resources. This website allows me to keep up to date with any changes and upcoming news in the syllabus that I teach as well as providing me with the resource to easily order syllabi related materials for my lessons. It also allows me to access up to date health and safety information relating to the dance field (which is supplied by medical experts) so that I can make sure that I am keeping my students safe. The job vacancies section is also useful as it enables me to check daily if there are any job vacancies available at schools that teach the ISTD syllabus that I am qualified in and therefore giving me access to information on possible employment. This website however is slightly difficult to navigate your way through but once you know where to find the information it is relatively quickly to get to, the links down the left hand side are the best way to navigate through the website.
http://www.istd.org/training/anatomy/balanceandposture.html
http://www.istd.org/training/anatomy/thekneefordanceordisater.html

· Dance Teachers Magazine Website- www.dance-teacher.com – An easy to use website with obvious and categorised links on the home page showing a number or articles under the areas of teaching, business, Health and tips of the day as well as a video feed for various routines and exercises that are broken down step by step as well as a facility for ordering back issues of the magazine so that if there is a feature that you are particularly interested in you can order that issue to obtain a copy of the article. Articles at the moment included Tips on how to motivate reluctant dancers and dealing with Eating Disorders. This website allows me to keep up to date on a daily basis with helpful tips on teaching and new methods of teaching as well as new findings from research into the world of dance. When I come across a problem with one of my students whether it is motivating them, finding a new way to help them understand a concept of technique or a health related issue this website will often have a helpful tip in order to help me solve my problem. Having the video link with constant ideas of choreography and new exercises is also a very useful resource tool when creating new work for students which has to be done on a day to day basis, I can watch and evaluate it by what I like, how can I fit it/ reflect it in my choreography and what is suitable for the level of students that I teach. The websites Tip of the day is a daily source of information that can affect and hopefully improve the way that I teach.
http://www.dance-teacher.com/sections/articles/6

· You Tube- www.youtube.com- YouTube is a website that has access to music videos, videos of sections of ballet works, musicals, television programmes, films almost anything that you can think of. I find this website an excellent resource for keep up to date with current styles of choreography, getting inspiration for choreography and being able to research different styles and evaluate what inspires me and what is suitable for my students so that I may be able to incorporate them into my teaching, giving variety to my students especially in a jazz class. When having some up with new work for jazz and drama classes this website is a very useful tool as I can at the touch of a button visibly see what professional choreographers are doing which can provide me with new inspiration when creating exercises/ routines for teaching children by just typing the name of a musical artist, choreographer or title of a song into the search tool on the home page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpyndxbwo90&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDTibf0qIzw&feature=fvsr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gvcpb4_7ZQ

No comments:

Post a Comment