Tuesday, March 30, 2010

For Michelle

The book I mentioned in the campus session today, that may be relevant to your topic is:

'Child Development from Birth to Eight: A Practical Focus' by Jennie Lindon and published by the National Children's Bureau.

I think I got it off Amazon but it might also be available on Dance books. When completing my FDI we had to complete a unit on Child Lifespan and development which looked into the cognitive, social and emotional development of children.The ISTD put together a textbook for this, so it may be worthwhile contacting the I.S.T.D. to see where they got and how they got their info for the book. There website is www.istd.org

I hope this helps

2 comments:

  1. Melissa, thankyou so much, this is a great help, I am going to search for the book now and hopefully order it if they have it. Have you decided on your topic yet??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm going to look into the effect that introducing a creative dance exercise has on technical dance syllabus work. Looking at if it improves children's ability to perform/ tell a story with their movement, whether it helps their technique and whether it enhances the children's enjoyment of dance. At the moment a dance education in the public sector (state schools and youth groups) and the private sector (your local dance school that does I.S.T.D, R.A.D. syllabus work etc) is very different and I want to look at the advanteges of integrating the two by having a short creative dance exercise as part of the syllabus work that the students learn (I had to narrow it down to just the effects on their syllabus work as the over all benefits could be a very wide scope, far too big for our little projects.

    ReplyDelete