Friday, March 5, 2010

Learning Blog 3 05/05/10

When trying to whittle down my ideas for my research project I was trying to answer the question of feasibility on one of ideas ‘the effect that choice of music has on the technique/ performance of dance’ an idea that had come about from a ballet lesson where I found that my students were not exhibiting their previous technique/ performance of their port de bras and footwork. When I asked why they said it was because of the music therefore I thought that it may be a worthwhile investigation looking into the effect that music has on dancers. From my many spider diagrams and reading of research methods I thought the best way to collect my primary data would be to conduct an experiment where I would chose a selection of set exercises in my ballet class and get the students to perform these two contrasting pieces of music and then observe the effect of this. However when looking into the feasibility of conducting this experiment I came across a problem; the most effective way to conduct this experiment would be with a pianist who could easily perform contrasting pieces of music to the specifications that would suit my experiment, but I do not have a pianist (as my classes are all done with the aid of my iPod) and the likelihood of finding appropriate pre-recorded music in the correct time signatures and style of music was un-likely due to the time constraints of balancing this project and my other life commitments. Therefore I have concluded that although this project would have an insightful benefit that would impact my work in a positive way, collecting primary data would not be feasible.

This revelation made me evaluate the priorities of what I need to consider before choosing my project idea in order to complete my project proposal. Primary data collection is an important aspect of our final project and therefore I must ensure that the research that I wish to conduct is feasible which means answering the questions:

1) Do I have persons to conduct the research on (my sample group)?
2) Will my sample group be representative (think validity of research)?
3) Do I have the equipment (if any) to conduct the research.
4) Is the research possible in the time period for the project when considering balance with my other commitments?
5) Are there any problems that I could encounter when conducting this research
6) Are there any ways in which I could overcome these problems and are they feasible.

All these need to be considered in order for me to choose a topic for a realistic project proposal; therefore I am now looking at answering these questions on my other project ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment